Papers, presentations and reference material that may be useful to governance authors.
The slides from a webinar presented by Mike Bennett on May 4, 2015.
Mike is the architect of the Financial Industry Business Ontology (FIBO), which is being developed by the Enterprise Data Management Council (EDMC) in two streams:
- EDMC is working jointly with the Object Management Group (OMG) to create a FIBO specification in OWL2, oriented towards automated processing and reasoning. It is being published in tranches by OMG and is a strong candidate for submission to ISO to become an international standard. Mike is one of the leading developers.
- In parallel, EDMC is developing a conceptual version of FIBO, oriented towards business concepts as understood by people in businesses. Mike is leading this activity, using OWL Full for the formal logic, and is collaborating on creating representations in natural language (the first being English), for inclusion in business vocabularies.
An informal introduction to terminological dictionaries, and a suggestion that they provide a more reliable basis for business vocabularies than is provided by conventional reference dictionaries.
updated 26 May, 2015
A suggestion that a business needs (at least) three vocabularies to support communication with different audiences. The vocabularies require different terminology but represent the same concepts, so could be delivered as terminological dictionaries from a shared terminological database.
Plenary presentation to the Object Management Group’s technical meeting in Long Beach, CA on December 10, 2014, by Kara Warburton, international chair of the ISO Technical Committee 37 (Terminology and other language and content resources).
Note: the slides and soundtrack are available as separate files. An integrated file is in preparation
Kara Warburton’s presentation to a workshop “Controlled Natural Language Simplifying Language Use” at the 9th Language Resources and Evaluation Conference (LREC), held in Reykjavik (Iceland) in 2014. The full workshop proceedingsare available at the LREC web site
May 28, 2015: OMG’s Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules (SBVR) Version 1.3 is available for download from the OMG web site.
An introduction to OMG’s ‘Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules‘ as a terminological dictionary of the concepts needed to define business concepts, rules and policies.
- Authoring Definitions in SBVR Structured English
- Authoring Rules, Policies and Advice in SBVR Structured English
- SBVR Structured English Syntax
- An overview of US Regulation